I have to admit; I am a sucker for the heart foam latte. I enjoy the occasional leaf but the heart will alway have a place in my...uhhh....heart. Use this step by step guide to prepare the perfect latte for your valentine!
Step by Step:
- Pour milk into your steam pitcher.
- Put the steam wand at the bottom of the pitcher. Turn on the steam, and slowly raise the wand until it is near the top of the milk. Lower the pitcher as the milk rises so the steam wand stays 1 cm away from the top of the milk. The milk should not stretch too much nor should there be any big bubbles. This should create a smooth, velvety milk as opposed to the foam that sits atop most espresso drinks.
- Allow the milk to reach 80 ºF (27 ºC). Then place the steam wand on the side of the pitcher, deep into the milk, positioning the pitcher to spin counterclockwise. Keep doing this motion until the milk heats to 150 ºF to 160 ºF (65 ºC - 70 ºC).
- Shut the steam and remove the steam wand and thermometer from the milk. Clean the steam wand with a wet cloth.
- Let the milk settle for a few seconds. This will allow a more velvety texture.
- Swirl the milk vigorously. If you see any bubbles, pound the pitcher on the counter several times and go back to swirling the milk for 20 to 30 seconds.
- To create a heart pattern: Shake your hand as you would in making a flower. However, instead of moving backwards, keep your hand in the same general area, focusing on making a ringed circle.
- Continue until the foam reaches the top of the cup. Then, sweep the rest of the milk up the center of the newly created pattern. Use a minimal amount to avoid sinking the pattern.